Thursday, May 30, 2013

Bonds across Borders; Internet Friendships

I know Ive most likely said it before, but Im going to say it again. I have awesome Friends. The Downside, most of my friends are over the internet. Not all of them mind you, just most. And to me, that isnt a bad thing. I have more in common with the people Ive met over the internet or on a game than I have with those that I know in real life. It isnt something that surprises me, to be honest I would of guessed this if I didnt have the whole "Internet friends are not real friends" saying drummed into my head by people.

I know thats false now. I know that internet friends can BE real friends and that you can truely harbor relationships with people that you have met over the internet. Hell, I even met my Boyfriend over the internet and we've been together for three years and we're still going strong. So to the people who told me that internet friends arent real friends I have only this to say. You're wrong, you're very very wrong.

Friendships take two things to bloom, and to flourish. You need the time to put into it, and you need a common ground to get started on. For me, it was gaming. I met so many people while playing video games its funny really. So many people that most of my friends are from these worlds, and thats where the Time aspect comes from. I was able to devote time to these people, and although we met on a video game, we soon found out we had a lot more in common that just that game. We liked the same type of books and movies. Watched the same TV shows. We became friends, true close friends.

And it didnt stop there, I made many friends over the internet. I started a podcast with some, Stream with others, sit in chat rooms for hours on end with the remaining. These are the people that my family and some of my real life friends told me I couldnt connect with are that I shouldnt put the time into. These "Fake" friends are the ones that have given me the most support when it comes to making my youtube content, my blog, that help me stream and put up with me on a day to day basis. These "Fake" friends have supported me in all my endeavors, and I couldnt replace them in anyway, shape or form. These "fake" friends are the weirdest, funniest, coolest people I could ask for, and thats what I like about them.

It isnt even the fact that I have more in common with the friends I met online, but also the fact that Im friends with people from around the world. Ive made friends with people that I would never of known otherwise if I still have the mindset of "internet friends are not real friends." Ive made friends with people from most states in the US, as well as other countries. Hell, Ive made friends with people from the Future (aka, in timezones ahead of mine)

I know that many people will disagree with me. Hell, my parents still disagree with me. But Im sorry to those people, but I still have to disagree with them. You can make friendships anywhere, no matter what other people tell you. Dont let others opinions stop you from connecting with people that you have stuff in common with. It isnt their life, its yours, and you should live it how you want to live it.

Moral of the Story; Someone else's mindset doesnt have to relate to you. And the Friends you meet online, are just as real as the ones you meet in Real life.

1 comment: